Q. Official Register

Official Register
I know that the Official Register stopped publishing with the 1959 issue. Are there any resources that would help me find the names and titles of individuals who have been employed by the U.S. government from 1960 on? I am working on biographies of several alumni at my college. Thank you.


Unfortunately, there is no single successor to the Official register listing lower-level employees from all agencies. Many agencies used to publish telephone directories that listed the names and titles of individuals. Agency higher-ups may be listed in the Congressional Directory, United States government policy and supporting positions (aka the Plum Book), or the United States government manual. Many of these resources are available in the HathiTrust Digital Library. Documents not available in HathiTrust can be found at a regional federal depository library or other large depository. A directory of federal depository libraries is available here: https://www.fdlp.gov/about-the-fdlp/federal-depository-libraries

If you know the agencies for which the alumni worked, another resource would be the agencies' libraries. For example, the Department of the Interior has a library and the National Park Service has several libraries throughout the country.

I hope this information is helpful. Thank you for using the Government Information Online Service.

Gwen Sinclair

Government Documents Librarian

University of Hawaii at Manoa Library


  • Last Updated Dec 07, 2018
  • Views 0
  • Answered By Gwen Sinclair

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0

Submit a Question